Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Perfect Shoe!

I've mentioned previously that my goal for this year is to run a 5k and so a few weeks ago I decided that it was time to not just use the elliptical but to start using the treadmill again but this time it was to run not walk.  So I started with the Couch to 5k program which should be fairly simple even for me!  But I was never able to make it through the full amount of time.  Yes, I was exhausted after several minutes but I'm pretty good about pushing through exhaustion it was the pain that I just couldn't bare.  And so I'd give it up for the day and move on to the elliptical or weights with the goal to come back and try it another day.  I figured that it was just a matter of getting used to it, I could not have been more wrong.  The pain didn't go away, in fact it started to get worse and I was just about ready to throw in the towel on running completely when I started doing some research.  The conclusion I reached after the research...shin splints!

I found out that there could be several causes of the shin splints but the easiest to fix was new shoes.  Now B told me back before Christmas that I needed new shoes because the ones I had didn't really have any tread left.  But he may as well have been speaking french to me because I grew up 1) in the south and since we don't get a lot of snow or ice we didn't need a lot of traction and 2) my family didn't have a lot of money so we wore shoes until we wore a hole into the shoe and there were no holes in my shoes (even though they're a good 4-5 years old).  So I ignored him and decided I didn't really need shoes.

But in an effort to get rid of the pains in my shin I caved and went into a local running store.  They analyzed my feet on a machine which did a scan of my feet.  It showed them my arch as well as showing them where on my foot I place the most pressure and balance most of my weight.  Then they watched me walk.  Based on everything they observed they concluded that I have a neutral foot therefore I require a shoe with a neutral ride and that I don't over- or underpronate and the best type of shoe for me was a cushioned running shoe.  Then they pulled out a few brands and had me try them on.

I had been told that the shoes at this shop were a bit on the high priced end and that I could find them cheaper elsewhere, but for the type of shoe I require I found that they were pretty much the same price as everywhere else.  Everywhere else except the Nike Factory Store that is!  So that's where we headed and I walked out of there with a pair of shoes that I loved, in a color that I loved - which ultimately was the downfall of the running store.  To me, color matters!!!

Today I was finally able to go to the gym and give them a try and I cannot tell you how amazing it felt to run in those shoes!  They're light weight, they're very well cushioned and I kind of felt like I was bouncing on clouds the entire time.  And yes, I ran today.  And yes, I was exhausted.  But no, I was not in pain!!!  Now just to settle on a date for that 5k...


My Shoes!!
Photobucket

No comments: