Fast forward to today's doctor appointment which was at 1pm. Everything was great, I was taken back, gave my urine sample, was hooked up to the machine and then just sat there waiting for Baby Q to move and Dr. L to come in and check on me. Well, I waited...and waited...and waited. I could hear the nurses talking outside the door and was able to gather that he had a C-Section scheduled for 12pm but hadn't made it back yet. 2pm rolls around and I'm still hooked up to the machine with no doctor in sight. Finally at 2:15pm I hear them say that he is on his way back (FYI my doctor's office is right next to the hospital, the two buildings are literally connected) and they explained that the delay was because after the schedule C-Section was complete another patient was ready to deliver so he had to stay and deliver that baby too. Well at 2:35pm he finally arrives and comes in to check on, me the nurse is also in the room and he begins to talk about the C-Section and how the patient had Placenta Accreta. Well he probably didn't expect me to know what that was because quite honestly had I not come across the term 2 days earlier I would have had no clue what he was referring to. And so I mention to him that I had literally just read about that 2 days prior and how ironic it is that he's standing in front of me talking about it now. I mean it's a pretty stinking rare occurrence, much less to happen right after I finish reading up on it.
Now there are 3 degrees of Placenta Accreta depending on how deep the placenta attaches itself inside the uterine wall. The worst case scenario is Placenta Percreta (click on the link provided above for more info) but it's also the rarest of the 3 and it just so happens that whoever this lady is, had just that and the only solution was an emergency hysterectomy. Apparently she wanted a tubal ligation anyway so I guess, hopefully, that made it a little easier for her. So if reading about it a couple days ago didn't make me nervous enough hearing about this today made me even moreso nervous. I guess the scariest thing is that regardless of whether someone chooses to have a VBAC or C-section, if they end up with Placenta Accreta the decision they make won't change the fact that they have it. I guess it just makes you think...
By the way, all was well at the appointment! Six more weeks to go...
No comments:
Post a Comment