Thursday, June 19, 2008

I Never Thought I'd Say This

So for those of you who are reading this and are not quite familiar with our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) and how we do certain things, I'll give you a little more information. For all others please just bear with me.

So members of our church are given callings which are ways that we provide service within the church, all of these callings are voluntary and we receive no pay for them. Well not long after we moved into our current ward, probably about 6 months after, we were called to serve in the nursery. Well in our ward there were so many kids at this time that they divided the nurseries into Junior Nursery and Senior Nursery, we were put in charge of Junior Nursery which starts at 18 months. Now I was very fortunate in that I was in there along with B who has always been much better and much more patient with children than I. I remember when they asked us to accept the calling I was none to happy with it and was extremely apprehensive about it but I knew I would be doing it with B so I accepted. On any given week we had between 10 and 14 children which we watched for 2 long hours. After a while the kids and the calling grew on me and by the time we were released and called to other callings I found myself a little sad.

So you're probably asking, what is this post all about? Well I have found that as I am preparing to welcome our own little child into the world, I am extremely grateful for the time I spent in that calling. I learned a lot of patience and I even found that as I visit my home in North Carolina that I am much slower to anger with my nieces and nephews (and trust me, that's no small feat). Now don't get me wrong, there are still some children that work my nerves like nothing else. But my patience and love for kids has increased at least tenfold if not more. So even though I never thought I'd say this, I must admit that I am grateful for the time I spent in nursery working with those kids.

No comments: