Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vacation, Part III

On the trip home we also decided to divide it into two days, only this time instead of staying in a hotel we took a little detour so that I could visit a good friend from college.  I met Crissy my freshman year of college at VT and we were pretty much instantly friends.  She left a few years before I did when she got married and moved to Utah. 

When we were deciding to stay in a hotel while overnight in the DC area I was reminded of a post she put on Facebook a couple years back mentioning that they were moving back East.  I knew that her family was in the Maryland area and so I messaged her to see if she have moved back to the Northern VA/DC/Maryland area and she replied that she was now living an hour north of Baltimore.  She was going to be out of town during our travel dates going to NC but it would work out perfectly for us to stop by on the drive back to Michigan, I was so excited!!

So when we left NC we made a stop at the Washington DC Temple, where we were married 6½ years ago.  It ended up being perfect timing for a stop because rush hour was starting and the traffic there is BRUTAL!!  We ended up stopping at the temple until 6pm and then we got back on the road (still congested but moving) and we made it to her house in Pennsylvania right at 8pm.

They say that you can tell good friends because when you get together with them it's like no time has passed at all.  Let me tell you that was no exaggeration in this case!  It had been approximately 10 years since we had seen each other but it was like we picked up where we left off only this time with husbands and kids in tow. 

Even though I was pretty tired and dreading the drive home the next day we stayed up late talking and we even ended up leaving late that morning because we kept talking and catching up.  I was so very glad that we were able to stop in and see her and meet her family.  She has 2 boys and we joked that we'd have to make sure we keep in touch so that Y and her oldest son will grow up together and get married some day.

We left her home around 10:30am and enjoyed a pretty uneventful day of traveling.  We stopped 4 or 5 times, mostly for potty breaks and Q must've been exhausted from the trip because she slept almost the entire trip.  We finally made it home at 10pm, I got the kids to bed and B unloaded the car...and then we slept!

The perfect ending to the perfect trip!







Photobucket

No comments: