Friday, October 16, 2009

ARGH!!!

I shouldn't be surprised by the ignorance of some people, but somehow this one just really irks me. I was doing some reading on the internet when the words "Interracial Couple" caught my eye in a headline. It likely caught my eye because, well, I'm ½ of an interracial couple. So I read the rest of the headline, Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License By Louisiana Justice of the Peace, and I was just so curious that I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it to find out precisely what it was about. By the time I got to the end of the first paragraph I was already furious with this guy. He says that, "it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long." Well what experience would he have in the matter? It's obvious he's never been in an interracial relationship and even more obvious that he's never married an interracial couple! My mother and father-in-law have been in a successful interracial marriage for over 34 years now as well as having some aunts and uncles who are in mixed marriages and I am sure that there are many more out there just like them!

As if that wasn't enough to tick me off, I continued reading the second paragraph where he said: "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else." Well woopty-freakin'-do! I'm so happy to know that if I were his friend he'd trust me enough to use his toilet, I'll rest so much better tonight knowing that! And as a little note to him and everyone else out there: If you feel the need to precede or follow up ANY statement you make by saying, "I have (Insert Race Here) friends" in order for you to feel justified in making that statement, you're probably better off just keeping your mouth shut! The only part of his above statement that I agree with is when he proclaims he is not a racist! Well Mr. Bardwell, you are 100% accurate in that statement! You're not a racist...you're a bigot!

Ladies and Gentlemen the fun does not stop there! The article continues and states:
"Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

I guess my next question is exactly who he discussed this topic with, was it his piles and piles of black friends that he so graciously allows to use his bathroom? Because it seems fairly obvious to me that in an instance such as this, maybe, just maybe he should discuss it with people that have been in an interracial relationship. I mean, they would be more educated on the topic than someone who has never been a part of it. And why is it the fault of the parents if SOCIETY doesn't accept the kids (which I completely disagree with). I honestly believe that the majority of society has no problem with interracial children. Sure, there are idiots out there who do, but I think they are the exception and not the rule! I really think Mr. Bardwell needs to get out of Louisiana and explore a little bit more of society before he can start speaking on behalf of all of black society and white society. I know quite a few interracial people, namely my husband, his siblings, several of his cousins, a few of my own cousins, friends and acquaintances throughout life, etc. and the all seem to be pretty well adjusted and accepted by all of those who matter in their life.

I hate that people, such as Mr. Bardwell, still exist. As for me, Here's to creating many more interracial offspring, in hopes that one day people like Mr. Bardwell will be nonexistent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I read that article- it's pretty ridiculous! I don't think your adorable child stands a chance of being rejected by her family anytime soon:)

Skeeutopia said...

I know that you posted this a while ago, but I thought I would mention that this headline made it to SNL's weekend update (my personal fave!) and the "anchor" was pretty funny when he said that whole "I just don't believe in the mixing of races." The anchor (Seth Meyers) continued and rebutted this justice's statement by saying:

Ok, just a tip for all you racists out there - never follow a denial of racism with the DEFINITION!

I thought it was hilarious. I tell ya...some people. And this from a person in her twelfth year of an "interracial" marriage...and still LOVING every bit of it!