Monday, April 9, 2012

Great Men


I know I just posted this photo in my previous post but I just had to write one more regarding the thoughts that came to my mind as I looked at this photo.

As I look at this photo I cannot help but think of what great men are pictured here!  And as I thought about that I began to think about all the great men, even those not pictured here, that my daughters (and any subsequent children) will have the opportunity to know as they grow up.  We definitely live in a world where we so often hear more about the bad examples than the good examples.  Far too often children grow up with terrible role models who make questionable decisions.

And so, when I look at this picture of 4 out of 6 her their uncle's, I am so very encouraged by the great models of manhood which my children will grow up with.  And hopefully, these models will help them choose boyfriends, husbands, etc who will be worthy of them and treat them as the princesses I believe them to be.  And if we ever have any boys, I hope that they will look to these great men as the true example of manhood.

I also feel the need to add that there are more great men in our lives that are not pictured here, this was just a photo snapped at an Easter gathering of the B and his brothers.  They have a couple more uncles, a great uncle, grandfathers, cousins and a host of our friends who this post applies to as well.  So if you happen to be reading this and you're not pictured above, don't think it's not intended for you!

The value of having great male role models, for girls as well as for boys, has been greatly diminished in our society and I'm grateful for all the great men in our life.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Tracy Owusu said...

great post umeka. i think about this topic a lot. in the case of those four men, i believe that they also have a great example in their parents. not just how their father treats their mother,but also how their mother treats their father. you are so right about the examples we set for our children, and the examples the people we choose to associate with, set for our children. the way we behave around our children teaches them. in the case of daughters, we teach them how to treat their future husbands, and our husbands teach them what treatment they should expect from their future husbands. consequently, i am very aware of how i speak to myhusband in front of my children, and how i speak about him to my children. i hope that my children can one day say that their parents set the a good example of what marriage should be. its an awefully big responsibility we have taken on eh?