Well today I added another to that list. I am fortunate to have a pediatrician who not only encourages me to trusts my instincts as a mother but supports me in almost all of those instincts. So when his associate instructed me to supplement with formula after breastfeeding I decided to trust my instincts and not supplement at all. I was pretty confident that after I explained my reasoning he would go along with it but I was slightly shocked when he didn't expect/need any explanation at all. When seeing her weight he simply shrugged and said, "supplementing isn't necessary just yet." He's not overly concerned about Y not being back up to birth weight, he said the norm is for a newborn to lose 10% of their birth weight, Q has only lost 7% max. She is now at 7lbs 13oz which means she has gained 2oz since we met with the lactation consultant on Monday, that's an ounce per day and the recommended weight gain is 4-8oz per week - she's doing just fine! We'll go back next week just to check her weight. Normally her next visit would be at 2 months old but he didn't feel comfortable going that long without at least checking her weight, and honestly I wouldn't have been comfortable with that either!
So today I take pride in my accomplishment - sticking with my guns and foregoing the formula AND (most importantly) being able to provide the food she needs to put on more weight without help from any man made product!
No comments:
Post a Comment