...I'm a diabetic.
You know how you hear people say, 'I always wanted to say that!'? Well this is definitely not one of those times for me!!! I would have lived a perfectly happy life having never made that statement, but oh well... c'est la vie. (that's french for "That's Life" for anyone who didn't know). I guess to put a positive spin on things it's only gestational diabetes so it will most likely go away after the baby is born. And when it's all done I can say "venni vetti vicci" (I came, I saw, I conquered).
There is one decision that I have made which kind of makes me laugh...I'm sure everyone can remember themselves in a similar situation. Do you recall ever giving your mom a hard time when you were young, maybe you did something really bad, then she starts to give you a lecture about everything she went through for the "9 months you were in her belly?" Well, since receiving this diagnosis, I have just added another 10-15 minutes onto the lectures I will give! This child better be an angel, but I won't hold my breath on that!
Anyway, I'll write more when I know more but all I can tell you is that I have to visit a dietitian right away. She will tell me what I can and can't eat, the times that I am supposed to eat and more information like that. All I know now is that I am supposed to eat 6 times per day and test my blood sugar level 4 times a day. I am really not looking forward to pricking my fingers that much, but I guess I'll do what I have to do! Until I find out more...ttys.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey, eating 6 times a day can't be THAT bad, right? Hope everything goes well, and that your child is really good so she doesn't ever get that extra 15 minutes!
Nice French by the way.
Hey Umeka! (Long time no see/talk, but Mike and I miss you!) Just thought I'd say hi, and we're so excited for you all and the baby! And that does suck with the diabetes. But at least they investigated it early, and at least we live in the days of modern medicine! Otherwise, congratulations!!
--Emily (Chappell)
Post a Comment