Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's A...

Today was the big day, we went in for our ultrasound!!  We got lots of good news as well as some news that I find slightly frustrating, but the good definitely outweights the frustrating!

We are very, very pleased to tell you that we're having another little GIRL!!!!!  I've really felt it was a girl from the beginning but over the past few weeks the doubts did begin to creep into my mind.  Either way we would have been overjoyed just to have a healthy baby but for practical reasons we definitely wanted another girl.  With Y being a September baby and this baby being due in August we obviously wanted a girl because of the seasons; all of the clothes we had for Y we can now use with our new little girl, Baby Q!  I was just a bit bummed by it but only because I wouldn't have minded having an excuse to go shopping more for a little boy, but I'm more than content to know it's a girl. 

I received a call shortly before my scheduled appointment time and I was told that the doctor was out sick today so I didn't get to meet with him after the ultrasound.  I was slightly disappointed by this because I had some questions that I wanted to ask my doctor but I'm thinking that I'll just fax them in and have him call me with the answers.  I met with the other doctor in the practice but I don't really feel like I got the answers I was looking for from him.  I guess maybe it's just knowing that my doctor knows my background, and more specifically, he knows ME and can answer my questions in a way that leaves me satisfied.

According to the ultrasound technician Baby Q looks great.  The bit of news that I find frustrating is that she is measuring in the 96th percentile for her estimated fetal weight.  I failed to ask what she was exactly measuring at but after doing some research online I have discovered that for 20 weeks gestation the 90th percentile is 387g, so about 13.65oz.  So my best guess puts her just above that, maybe around 14oz. 

I know it's fairly early on to really be concerned with birth weight but I do believe it will be a major factor in determining whether or not I will have a successful VBAC.  So it's been weighing heavy on my mind today but I am trying hard not to let it get me down.  I cannot recall what Y's measurements were estimated to be at this point but it will definitely be a question to ask the doctor. 

So there's the rundown of our appointment today and here are the pictures which you've probably been wanting to see.  We have some video of her moving around but they have my full name written across the top of them so I'm gonna skip posting those but if you really want to see them I can email them.  I was able to blur out my name, etc. from the pictures.

Pictures:






Photobucket

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congrats Umeka! A girl needs a sister! :)