My Blog List

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 5, 2009

5 Months!

Five months ago tonight I was laying in a hospital bed - sore, drugged up and unable to sleep.

Sore because every time I moved I could feel the stitches and staples from the c-section, not to mention I had a horrible cough that made me want to scream each time I coughed (while you're healing from a c-section anything that causes your abdomen to contract kills).

Drugged up not because of any pain but because of the unexplained temperature that I had while in labor - the doctor's exact words were, "I don't know what caused it but I've prescribed enough meds to get rid of it." Little did I know that statement was no exaggeration, I had nurses coming into my room every hour to replace an empty bag that was attached to my IV. They were literally pumping 3 or 4 prescriptions into my vein in addition to the IV fluid. And this doesn't even count the number of Vicodin and Motrin they kept bringing for the pain related to the C-section. I was on those "fever fighting" drugs for 48 hours and by the time it was over it felt like my vein was burning.

Unable to sleep for a couple reasons. The first was that it was my baby's first night in this world and I couldn't even see her. I wasn't allowed to move around for the first 24 hours after the c-section and since I had gestational diabetes it caused her to have low blood sugar (because her body was producing a lot of insulin that was needed while she was inside of me and living off of the food I ate but once she was delivered and no longer had that food supply but her body still produced quite a bit of insulin - it usually takes a day or so for their body to regulate it). She also had a low body temperature so they kept her in the nursery giving her an IV of sugar water under a heat lamp. The second reason I was unable to sleep was because I felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. I knew that for at least the next 18 years I would be responsible for another life. If that's not something that can keep you awake at night then I don't know what can. I was scared out of my mind and it still hadn't really sunk in that I was now a mom.

Five months (and one day) later as I look back it really seems like it was so long ago but at the same time it seems like it was yesterday. Y has brought so much joy to our lives and a day (possibly even an hour) never goes by that I don't tell her how much Mommy loves her. My life has been completely turned upside down but I did have 40 weeks to prepare for it. But then again, nothing in the world can prepare you for motherhood. But there's also nothing in the world that can compare to motherhood. Anyway, my baby is 5 months (and one day) old and I'm both happy and sad. Happy about what life has in store, sad that it's going by so fast.

Here are some pictures from her 5 Month-day (I can't say birthday so i say month-day):


1 comment:

Mindy said...

How could you not want to stay home with this cutie??? She's so beautiful, your lucky parents. =]