As for the doctor's visit, there was good and bad. The good: she's now 12lbs, 23¾ inches long with a head circumference of 15½ inches. For those of you who have asked about her color (pigmentation) there is still hope for her getting darker, Keep hope alive!!! But really she is a healthy, happy baby! The bad: apparently she has what is called torticollis, which is fancy doctor language for a head tilt. Her doctor said that it's congenital torticollis so she either developed it while still in the uterus or during the whole birthing process. The good news is that it is totally treatable. I am taking her to get xrays on Monday to make sure th
at there's not some type of tissue mass causing it and we also have to start taking her to physical therapy. There we will learn the techniques we need to know in order to stretch the muscle and teach her proper balance and all that stuff. From what I've read online this may take up to a year or she may even have to have surgery to correct it, but that is pretty drastic and from what I understand doesn't happen all that often, so we're remaining optimistic. If you look at the pictures to the right you can see what I mean by the way she tilts her head to
her left side. This weekend B's family is going to visit so while they're here we're gonna make sure she gets a Priesthood Blessing. Also add her name to your prayers and we're sure this will pass without any problems or complications. One of the websites that I visited said that first time parents often mistake it for just the floppy neck of a newborn. And that website was completely right because that is definitely what I attributed it to being. However, now that the doctor has pointed it out I have been able to pinpoint things that I should have noticed before. Like the way she likes to hold her head when in certain positions or how she hates some when he head is in another position. But anyway, like I said before, it is totally treatable and not something that we think she will have to live with for the rest of her life. It's just sad knowing that she has a problem like this and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it and I always tend to expect the worse out of every situation. It's something I'm working on but, hey, it takes time!
If you are curious and wanna read up on it yourself, here are some of the websites that I visited: Torticollis Kids, Baby Center and Wikipedia. They're in the order that I found them most helpful!
3 comments:
Hopefully she will get darker so she can avoid having to use high-factor sunscreen when she gets older. That stuff is like glue. LOL.
Umeka, those pictures are great, she is beautiful in any shade, and I just love her hair, I just can't imagine her ever having a bad hair day!!! LOL.
Umeka, There IS something you can do about it. You are doing it! Hang in there. I know exactly how you feel. When I found Kimberly's thumb I got this huge knot in my stomache that didn't go away for months! But it was all harder on me than it was on her. She'll do great and trust me, seeing all the other kids in the OT and PT office humbled me very quickly. Keep us posted. I'm sure the PT will do wonders for her. I'll pray that she gets results quickly. She's just beautiful!
Post a Comment