Monday, August 25, 2008

Coming Soon...

Where should I even begin?!?! Should I start at the end or at the beginning? Honestly, I'm feeling so many things right now that I'm not even sure where to begin. I'm anxious, happy, scared, apprehensive, excited all rolled up into a ball really.

Ok, I guess I'll start with the small news first...I'm 2cm dilated. I know, big whoop, right?!?! That's what I said, and my doctor's reply was, "well it's better than you were last time." To which I had no reply because in all honesty he's right! The other news...I told the sonographer at my doctor's office today that it felt like I was carrying around a cinder block in my belly. The sad part is that she probably isn't that far from being a cinder block! So I'll start from the beginning: When we first start the ultrasound the sonographer's first comment was on how big of a head she has. This didn't surprise me because, well, we Lovett's are notorious for having HUGE heads, I mean, you've seen my head, it's no cantaloupe or honey dew melon...it's a full on watermelon! (And not the cute personal seedless kind either). My second thought was about how I had to push that watermelon sized head out! My third thought was that her head is probably more than half her body weight. All jokes aside, she then went on to tell me that she's a little over 4000 grams (which is close to 9lbs). Now being that I still have 2 weeks to go, that's not a good thing!!! Needless to say I was rendered speechless at that point. She then tries to comfort me by telling me that that estimate is +/- a pound so she may only be 8lbs. This lady must seriously take me for an idiot! So I look at her and say, "or she could be 10lbs." She then points out that she was hoping I would miss that point...well guess what lady, I didn't!!! Anyway, she then says that she's gonna take a closer look and do another analysis and then says that she is actually somewhere between 8 & 8.5 lbs. I'm still not comforted, I guess i shouldn't have laughed when my doctor told that other lady her baby was monstrous! But it was awesome to see her on the ultrasound again, we were able to see her hair and everything! So at least she won't be a bald-headed baby with a big head. hahaha, sorry I really couldn't resist.

Then it was time to meet with my doctor. He said the main concern with gestational diabetics is the baby's shoulders. These babies tend to have broader shoulders, thus making it more difficult to push out vaginally, but the problem is that they can't tell until they attempt to deliver the baby. For this reason, some doctors just decide to do a c-section and skip the attempt at a vaginal birth all together. Lucky for me, my doctor wants to try the vaginal birth! I do not want a c-section unless it is absolutely necessary. As for when he wants to try this vaginal birth...how about Wednesday, September 3rd. That's right, if she's not here by then of her own free will and choice then she will be forced her through induction. This is the cause of all of my different emotions. I really, really, really do not want to be induced! I want her to come when she's ready, I dunno, I guess I'm just a lot more comfortable with that. But I guess if I do have to be induced then at least it's only 4 days before her due date. But I am praying (as all of you should do with me) that it will be vaginal delivery and before the scheduled induction.

So, yes, today has been a bit emotional for me, but I have been assured by both the sonographer and the doctor that she is really healthy despite her size and all of my pregnancy complications. And in the grand scheme of things, that's all that matters anyway! So as for where we stand now, I have a doctor appointment scheduled for Tuesday and an induction scheduled for Wednesday, but my bag is all packed and I'm ready to go in at anytime before then if she's ready. So I guess you should all prepare yourselves to meet Y because she's coming, one way or another! Keeps us in your prayers!! Love 2 all.

P.S. I may have left out some minor details, if I have then forgive me and I'll add them later. I guess my mind is slightly overwhelmed at this point. Not sure why, but it is! ttyl

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Woo Hoo! The home stretch! Don't let that stuff worry you too much. You can do this! Your body was made for this. No, induction isn't desirable, but you can handle that too, if necessary. With your outlook and sense of humor, I know you'll do just fine. I'll keep you both in my prayers. Praying everything goes as you want it and you have a healthy and happy delivery! I can't wait to hear the birth story! Sleep as much as you can NOW, while you still can!!! Ha Ha! I know how impossible that is at 9 months. Wishing you a smooth delivery and happy baby moon!

Mindy said...

Wow, your baby's almost here! Yipee!!!!! I hope she comes sooner and if not hope everything goes GREAT for you! Say HI to Brandon for us! And thanks for the sweet words.

The Christensens said...

You crack me up! I can't wait to meet her, and I hope for your sake that it's soon and on her own the natural way. Keep us posted. FWIW... I was induced all three times varying from 7-13 days early.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Good luck! Stay calm! Remember your favorite saying!!!
Since you are already dilating, induction will just speed it up. Iyhanna is ready to be born, She just may not know it!!!