Monday, September 26, 2011

A Visit With My PCP

On Friday afternoon I had a visit with my primary care physician (PCP) regarding the results of my 75 gram glucose tolerance test.  Since the hospital where I had the tests done, my OB-GYN, and my PCP are all in the same health system it was as simple as pulling up my records on the computer, which makes it super convenient for me.

After quite a long wait Dr. S came in and we had a pretty long discussion about where things stand.  My blood glucose was 164mg/dL after two hours.  He says that while this does show a slight glucose intolerance it's not something that they would really treat with medication - that typically is for those with a blood glucose of 180mg/dL or higher with anything over 200mg/dL being considered diabetic.

So as of now, he wants me to check my blood sugars once per day - either before breakfast, before dinner or before bed - alternating the time each day when I check it.  I'll go back in six weeks and show him the results.  It's interesting that he wants me to check it BEFORE I eat as typically the test is done after eating.  But he really wants to know what they are before I have eaten to know what my blood sugars are like then.  He also had blood drawn in order to have a Hemoglobin A1c done and try to get a baseline number.  If you remember from this post, I had one preformed before I got pregnant with Q and the results weren't so great.  I'm interested to see what it will be this time around.

UPDATE:  Heard from the doctor's office.  My A1c came back as 6.1, before getting pregnant it was at 7.2.  6.1 is definitely an improvement but not yet target range (4.0-5.9) but at least it's not too far off.  He wants me to come in again in 3-4 weeks to have the test run again and see where we are at that point.
Photobucket

No comments: