Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day

The majority of the time we celebrate Valentine's Day on Valentine's Day but this year we went against the grain.  V-Day fell on a Monday this year and well, who wants to celebrate on a Monday?!?  Plus it's also a fairly busy day for us, it's when we do our weekly grocery shopping and it's usually a pain to have to change that up. 

So it worked out perfectly that B's Aunt J. gave him tickets to a Piston's game for his 30th birthday, back in December.  The game was Friday, February 11th and so we decided we'd just celebrate V-Day on that day since we knew we'd be out anyway.  We decided that we were either going to go to Buca di Beppo or to On The Border.  I was in the mood for Italian and I love Buca's so we made a quick decision to go there but I figured that there would be no way that B and I would be able to agree on what to order.  (For those of you not familiar with Buca's it's a family-style restaurant where you order the food for the table.  So instead of each entree feeding a single person, when you order your food it's meant to serve 2-3 people or 5-6 people depending on the size you order.  It's great when you're going with a big group of people!)  So based on that we changed (at the very last minute) and decided to go to On The Border.  The entire night was awesome, with the exception of the game which was a complete blowout, and we loved getting out and not having to worry about what time we got home so that we could get the babysitter home before it was way late!

As for Y, the original plan was to have B's parents come over and watch her for the night but they ended up having other plans.  It actually worked out perfectly though!  A few weeks ago a friend called us and asked if we would watch their kids overnight while they just got away for a night to celebrate her husband's birthday.  We agreed but refused to let them pay us so they told us that we had to allow them to keep Y overnight sometime.  At the time I don't think we had any intention of actually taking them up on the offer but when B's parents were unable to come and watch Y, we had the perfect solution.  B actually didn't want to leave her overnight but after explaining to him that we likely wouldn't even get out of the game until 10PM or later and then having to navigate the parking lot...we knew it'd be super late before we'd be able to get to their house to pick her up.  So we agreed we'd let her stay overnight.  When we first made the decision I was super excited to have a "childless" night but as the day got closer the more nervous I became.  Not because I was worried about Y but because I didn't want her to wake in the middle of the night crying for us and then they end up losing sleep because of it. 

Long story short, she did great!  I had been pumping her up all week that she was gonna go and play with their 5 year old daughter again (she loved playing with her when we watched them overnight).  So when the day finally arrived she was excited to go.  I kissed her and hugged her and told her we would see her tomorrow and her only reply was, "bye mom."  She was ready for me to go!  Turns out she slept through the entire night, didn't cry once and when we arrived to pick her up on Saturday she did not want to leave!  In fact that was the only time she cried.  It was actually a relief that she did so well, so if need ever arises we know that she won't completely fall apart if we ever need to be apart from her overnight.

Photobucket

No comments: